Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Puerto Natales

Day one post-stroke and my father is doing a little better. He can move his left arm and leg and is more aware and very agitated. I'd be agitated too.  Hopefully more recovery will happen. The rest of my 5 brothers and one sister will be arriving in Redding in the next couple of days so my mother will have lots of support. Thanks to having wonderful siblings I don't feel like I need to make plans to leave here. I feel way too removed down here but there is nothing I could do anyway.  I know my father would not want me to rush home.

The day was spent walking around Puerto Natales and getting food ready for our first hike. We will be hiking the Circuit in Torres del Paine. Google that if you want a preview. We are leaving in the morning and probably won't have internet access for 9 or 10 days. I should be taking lots of pictures so stay tuned.

Who am I here with? 2 ladies. First,Laura who I met at the ALDHA West hikers gathering in September and is planning on hiking the PCT in 2014. The 2 of us plus Darlene (another ALDHA west connection and 2014 PCT hiker but who isn't here) had a fabulous time hiking together in Joshua Tree National Park in early November. Just before that trip, Laura's neighbor Bee invited her to join her in Patagonia. Soon I was on board. Bee has been here 3 weeks. I can tell already that our time here will be filled with lots of laughter. So, that's the 3 of us Las Exploradoras.

I don't know any foreign language but this time I decided to try.  For the past 3 weeks I've been listening to Learn to Speak Spanish CDs in my car. I can ask a few questions and mostly can't understand the answers but I'm having fun trying. I can recognize a few words here and there.  And for the first time ever I think that if I spent more time and effort I could learn to communicate at a basic level. When you start at the bottom you can only get better!

I'll be hiking tomorrow. Yay!

Love, Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment