Saturday, December 21, 2013

Fitz Roy, The Magnificient

Phone calls with my mother, some of my siblings, emails and messages from my friends plus some time to reflect on the wonderful life of my father has made me feel at peace with staying here.

Laura and I left Bee in Puerto Natales. Bee was great to travel with and I will be forever indebted to her for getting the ball rolling on this trip. She is now back in California.

Next stop was El Chalten....home of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre. Fitz Roy is the most magnificient mountain I have ever seen. We got so lucky with the weather. The first day started out windy and cloudy but was still beautiful with the mountains playing hide and seek with us. We hiked up to the viewpoint at Piedra Blancas Glacier with Fitz Roy behind it. Magical. In the afternoon we got to Poincenot Campground, set up our tents and set off for the 1000 meter hike up to the viewpoint. Fitz Roy was out in all his glory, no clouds and no wind. The sun was setting behind it. So different weather than the morning. Hiked back down and ate dinner at 10pm while it was still light.

3:45 the alarm went off. Packed up day pack stuff and took off to repeat the hike of the afternoon before. The full moon lighted our way. We got up there in plenty of time to watch the show. To the east the sky turned red and pink. Fitz Roy slowly lit up to a bright red. Amazing. Inspiring. Captivating. A perfect place to think of my father. And then a cloud came, blocked the sun and the light show was over. But Fitz Roy was still there standing tall looking magnificient. I sat up there and boiled water for coffee. It was the best cup of coffee ever! I didn't want to leave.

Later we hiked over to Laguna Torres at the foot Cerro Torre. While walking there the top of it's spires were completely visible. Later clouds blocked the tops. It is also a beautiful mountain but I think my head just couldn't absorb any more beauty. I walked back to the town of El Chalten.

My head feels like it's going to explode from what I have seen. I didn't think anything could top Torres del Paine but Fitz Roy did it.

1 comment: