Sunday, December 15, 2013

12/12/13 Valley Frances

12/12/13
Campamento Italiano to Refugio Los Cuernos
20.5 K

Rain last night and fierce wind but the campsite was protected.
Left at 7am with daypacks for the out and back hike up Valle Frances and immediately put on raincoats. Low clouds shrouded the peaks but I was still snapping pictures. A rainbow appeared. It rained, hailed, and snowed intermitantly. Then the sun came out for awhile.

The views constantly unfolded and morphed as the clouds blew around. The glaciers on Paine Grande, the various peaks associated with Los Cuernos and then more mountains and glaciers to the north. I passed thru Campamento Britanico then another 2K up to the lookout. The lookout was the top of a minor peak, nothing manmade. 2 others were already there. I climbed up the rocks and took in the view. I sat there and soaked up the grandeur. It kept clearing up more and more. Gorgeous. 5 others showed up. We all just sat silently watching the show.
Finally I started making my way down. I stopped at places I had taken photos on the way up. Now it looked completely different with more sun and less clouds.

I got back to Campamento Italiano, packed up my tent and we were off. Lago Nordenskjold in the distance was a beautiful glacial blue green. The wind picked up and got intense as we walked along the shoreline. At one point I slipped and fell. One of my poles snapped and I banged up my shin. I need both poles to set up my tent. We were already planning on sleeping inside the refugio if there was space. Luckily, we got bunks. It always works out.

Refugio Los Cuernos is in an awesome setting. Huge windows look out over the lake and mountains. Ate dinner there. Tough beef over mashed potatoes. Yum! The wine and conversation were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment